I love my family.


This morning, I was awakened to Ethen blowing a toy trumpet and announcing "Mom! It's time to make cookies ... and cake ... and cupcakes for Valentine's Day!" Really? Where has he learned this? "And...," he went on, "we gotta watch out for monsters!"  Love this kid. Today he made me his first craft in preschool (a clay heart -- painted blue, of course) and my heart melted.

When I picked him up I asked him what he did in school today. "I cried. And I ate cookies." Sounds a lot like what millions of people will be doing this holiday, Son.

It will be interesting to see what Maya does in school today. I had to get permission from her teacher to even send valentines to school. I think she may be the only kid bringing them in her class.

"Islamic officials in Malaysia warn Muslims against celebrating Valentine's Day, linking it with vice activities. Deputy Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin said the celebration of romantic love was "not suitable" for Muslims. Wan Mohamad Sheikh Abdul Aziz, head of the Malaysian Islamic Development Department (Jakim), which oversees the country's Islamic policies said a fatwa (ruling) issued by the country's top clerics in 2005 noted the day 'is associated with elements of Christianity,' and 'we just cannot get involved with other religion's worshipping rituals.' Jakim officials planned to carry out a nationwide campaign called "Awas Jerat Valentine's Day"("Mind the Valentine's Day Trap"), aimed at preventing Muslims from celebrating the day on 14 February 2011. Activities include conducting raids in hotels to stop young couples from having unlawful sex and distributing leaflets to Muslim university students warning them against the day." -Wikipedia

As for us? We're gonna spread the love!

"On Valentine's Day 2011, Malaysian religious authorities arrested more than 100 Muslim couples concerning the celebration ban. Some of them would be charged in the Shariah Court for defying the department's ban against the celebration of Valentine's Day." -Wikipedia

Wow. I was in a hotel last Valentine's Day. Didn't know it was so dangerous.

2 comments

merathon said...

wow-- that is some intense anti-Valentine action going on over there! amazing they even let maya bring some valentines in!

Cath said...

Wowsers. I had no idea. Glad they let Maya celebrate in her own little way. And the Batman as part of Diwali. Awesome. xo