Happy Birthday to Me and Maya

We had good birthdays. Thanks for all your wishes.

I had lunch with a friend at a Chinese restaurant and had the best fried rice I've ever eaten. We also ate dim sum and chicken dumplings. The restaurant gave me a free dessert for my birthday. Here is a picture of it:


I have no idea what it is, but it seemed to have white bean paste in it. Pretty sweet by Asian standards, and actually quite good. Thanks to these guys for making it.


I did go home and make a german chocolate cake for myself though. Dave took me to Outback Steakhouse for dinner. Yes, I do believe it was a real aussie steak. I must admit that it was better than the one we ate at in Egypt. However, I still prefer Tangy Tomato dressing and the warm bread and the sweet potatoes that the Outbacks in the US offer. My potato just wasn't an Idaho spud, ya know?

We also celebrated Maya's 5th birthday. We are almost exactly 30 years apart. (You do the math).


You know how the rest of her birthday went by viewing the following photos and video.




Ethen's lyrics are "Go, Maya, go, Maya."

I didn't really want to invite her school class over, and she doesn't really have any friends here (so sad, I know) and it's hard to be away from family for these events. Since it was a Sunday, we invited some friends from our branch over and she was perfectly content.

She wanted a rainbow party, so I came up with this:


I've made rainbow cupcakes before, but have always used muffin tins. This is the first time I cooked them individually in glass jars. They turned out cute, despite my desperation to find a white cake mix.



Add a few balloons, crepe paper, gum drops, suckers, and candy and you got yourself a nice sugar party, I mean rainbow party.

And one happy 5-year-old girl.

4 comments

Valina said...

Very Cute!

Robert said...

Loved the cupcakes and the party. You must be able to close your ears with the great tympany section you now have at home. You are truly resourceful

Catherine said...

When we moved to Kuwait our kids didn't have any friends either--at least ones we were comfortable inviting over for a b-day party. A friend in the branch there told us her kids do king/queen for a day in lieu of a party. They get to eat whatever they want, play video games or watch tv all day, sleep in or stay up late, no chores, etc. Our family adopted that instead of friend parties while we were overseas. Our kids loved it and now that we're back they insist they should have it along with a friend party. When I tell them they have to choose either king/queen OR a party they also insist before we moved overseas they got to do both. I try to tell them I'd never even heard or thought of king/queen for a day until we moved to Kuwait. Anyway, it's a fun idea that's worked for us as the kids get older and if you move around more and don't feel comfortable with the whole party idea with people you hardly know.

Becca said...

You are SO creative! What a fun party for Maya. We miss you!